Re: Towing Spitfires

To: gwebb@northeastern.k12.in.us, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Towing Spitfires
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 12:18:31 -0500
Greg Webb wrote:

> I've heard enough to know I'm wron.  My experience has mostly been
> with towing 4x4's (such as CJs) most of which are lubricated primarily
> by the output (or so I understand).  I stand corrected.  My humble
> thanks.

Actually, I towed my Herald for 75 highway miles late one night in
September of '76, behind my Mom's '74 Datsun station wagon with its
little 4-banger. The car just wouldn't run. There was no way it was
going to make it under its own power.

But it idled fine. So I rented a tow bar, hooked up the car, started the
motor, turned on the lights, and sped off into the night. Figured I
would know if the Herald's engine quit because its headlights, which
were aimed straight into my eyes via the Datsun's rearview mirror, would
dim. It only stalled once...

I still have the Herald. The Datsun has long returned to the earth. So
go figure.

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald, GA41328LCV, in restoration for a YEAR
I want my car back!