Re: TR4

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 18:51:32 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> >  3. Did all early TR4's have the TR4 badge on the trunk lid?
>
> As far as I know. Yes.  Lower right side, script letters.

I'm not sure about that.  My TR4 (CT3154LO) has the "TRIUMPH" letters on
the back, but it does not have the "TR4" script nor are there any filled
holes where it should have been.  The boot lid is the correct one, with
the early style prop rod, and the bottom layer of paint matches the
bottom layer on most of the rest of the car, so I doubt that it's a
replacement.

When I first got CT3154 I worried about that missing badge.  Then while
digging through old car magazines I came across a road test picture of an
early TR4 that didn't have the TR4 badge in back.  Some of the early road
tests were done with pre-production cars that differed in a lot of details
from the production model, so that may be what I saw.  Trouble is, I can't
find that picture now.

Anyway, I can't say for certain that very early TR4s did or did not have
that badge.  All I can say is that there's a possibility that they did
not.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.