Re: TR4

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4
From: Steve Witt <witt@pairgain.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 17:31:26 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Chip Old wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:
>
> > >  3. Did all early TR4's have the TR4 badge on the trunk lid?
> >
> > As far as I know. Yes.  Lower right side, script letters.
>
> I'm not sure about that.  My TR4 (CT3154LO) has the "TRIUMPH" letters on
> the back, but it does not have the "TR4" script nor are there any filled
> holes where it should have been.  The boot lid is the correct one, with
> the early style prop rod, and the bottom layer of paint matches the
> bottom layer on most of the rest of the car, so I doubt that it's a
> replacement.
>
> When I first got CT3154 I worried about that missing badge.  Then while
> digging through old car magazines I came across a road test picture of an
> early TR4 that didn't have the TR4 badge in back.  Some of the early road
> tests were done with pre-production cars that differed in a lot of details
> from the production model, so that may be what I saw.  Trouble is, I can't
> find that picture now.
>
> Anyway, I can't say for certain that very early TR4s did or did not have
> that badge.  All I can say is that there's a possibility that they did
> not.

In a Triumph Illustrated Buying Guide book I have I distinctly remember
there being something to the effect that Triumph was somewhat lax in
applying badges or lettering on TR4's (and maybe others) consistantly.
Apparently they didn't always bother put a badge on the car on the
production line.  The author goes on to say that this issue has caused a
lot of pain to restorers who are trying to get the car 100% accurate.  So,
maybe there isn't a "right" answer to this.

Steve