Re: TR4 (trunk lettering)

To: Steve Witt <witt@pairgain.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 (trunk lettering)
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 22:20:19 -0500
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Chip Old wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:
>
> > >  3. Did all early TR4's have the TR4 badge on the trunk lid?
> >
> > As far as I know. Yes.  Lower right side, script letters.
>
> I'm not sure about that.

                                ~snip~

> When I first got CT3154 I worried about that missing badge.  Then while
> digging through old car magazines I came across a road test picture of an
> early TR4 that didn't have the TR4 badge in back.

                                ~snip~

 ...mmmm, seems familiar to me...(Joe dashes down to the basement, returns with
an old magazine, then flips though the pages, then stops)

> Some of the early road
> tests were done with pre-production cars that differed in a lot of details
> from the production model, so that may be what I saw.  Trouble is, I can't
> find that picture now.

  Eureka! on page 67, of Car and Driver (Vol.7, Issue #10), for April, 1962,
(green cover with white Sunbeam Harrington Le Mans picture on it) there is a
rear three quarter aerial (from a ladder) picture of a TR 4.  It clearly shows
the trunk, and it clearly shows only the block lettering T R I U M P H above
the marker plate.
  The "Road Research Report" goes on to say that the TR 4 really didn't show
much/enough mechanical improvement over the TR 3.  Man, if they only knew how
long Triumph was going to milk this cow, they would've burned the barn...
Glad they didn't, or else we wouldn't have any of these delightfully
anarchistic
labors of love to argue the finer points of.
  The TR 4 in the advertisement on page 15 shows only a three-quarter FRONT
view,
against a much lower New York City skyline.
  I have my Dad to thank for saving this and a few other old Car & Driver, and
Road & Track magazines.  It's an ever renewable legacy.

                                       JOE IV
                                       TR 250
                                WALLINGFORD, CT. USA