Re: Steering Question

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: Steering Question
From: bharris <harris88@rochester.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 22:58:25 -0500
Cc: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>, Jim Altman <jaltman@altlaw.com>, triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Joe Curry wrote:

> Ken Streeter wrote:
> >
> > Jim Altman wrote:
> > >
> > > My steering wheel is very slightly (a few degrees at most) off center when
> > > going straight.  Its not the steering wheel itself, I believe, because the
> > > turn signal (excuse me, trafficator) reset occurs in the "right" place,
> > > that is to say I have to oversteer slightly to get the reset action.
>Thus,
> > > I believe the misalignment is below the uppermost piece of the column.
> > > Where is the best place to adjust this?
> >
> > I seem to have the exact same behavior with *BOTH* of my
> > TR6s, but my steering wheels are both off by about 90 degrees,
> > and have been that way since I got them (used).
> >
> > I, too, would be looking for a solution for this.
> >
> Ken and Jim,
>
> Very interesting,  I am wondering if the TR6 shares a common type
> steering shaft as the Spit.  This is because I noticed that after I
> finished the restoration on my Spit, the turn signals don't cancel
> correctly.  They are ok on right turns but not left.  Investigation
> revealed that the cam that contacts the ears on the switch is on the
> wrong side and not 180 degrees off either.  I think that it should rest
> between the two ears when the car is going straight.  that way, a few
> degrees turn of the wheel will cause the cam to contact either ear
> (depending on the direction) and when the wheel is again straightened,
> the can then will cancel the switch.
>
> I think the best place to effect the necessary change is on the coupler
> that connects the shaft to the Steering rack.  I'm anxious to hear
> further on this subject.  If for no other reason than to see if my
> assumptions are correct.
>
> Joe Curry   '63 Spit

 Jim,Ken and Joe,
                 This problem sounds famaliar to me.When I got my
Spitfire,it too would cancel sooner in one direction than the other.
After a while I noticed it would turn sharper in one direction. What I
found was someone must have had the tie rod ends off and put them back
incorrectly.I found out to center the rack,you take out the plug (that
you would replace with a grease fitting to lube the rack)and there is a
small depression inside that can be felt ( with a small phillips
screwdriver,or similar object) when the rack is on center. Then I had to
adjust my tie rods,and finally, pull off the steering wheel and put it
"on center" . I guess I just wanted to point out the fact of the dimple
in the rack on center (at least on the Spitfire 1500)I found this out
from the Bentley Manual. I hope this helps someone.
                                               Good Luck
                                               Bob Harris