tr6 steering rack bushings

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tr6 steering rack bushings
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 14:10:02 -0700
Listers,

My current project involves replacement of the front engine seal and
gaskets. While in there I will replace the timing chain as well. On top
of that, I want to finally install the polyurethane steering rack mount
bushings I have had sitting around since summer. This is what my
question is about...

The Bentley manual suggests using a special tool to "spread" the
steering rack when changing the mounts in order to compress the rubber
to a certain spec before tightening down the u-bolts. I certainly do not
have the tool from the Bentley manual. The VTR web site offers an
interesting sounding alternative
(http://www.vtr.org/maintain/tr6-steering-rack.html) to the special
tool.

All the other bushings I replaced on my car were much much softer (they
were all stock rubber) than the new poly ones. The poly bushings are
hardly compressible at least to the bare hand, while the rubber ones I
replace are definitely soft to the touch. Assuming the stock rack mounts
vs. poly rack mounts presents no exception to this observation, will the
compression technique be required on the poly bushings? The above
article mentions that for solid alloy mounts (something I don't want)
the compression would not be required.

Thanks as usual,

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)