Re: tr6 steering column

To: peterz@merak.com
Subject: Re: tr6 steering column
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 97 13:06:12 PST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Peter Zaborski wrote:
        >       Can anyone answer two questions about the shear bolts:
        >
        >1. What exactly is their purpose?

        <2. Can I replace them with non-shearing bolts upon re-installation of
        <the steering column with the new bushings?

Peter,
        The purpose of the shear bolts is as an antitheft device,
so that unscrupulous folk will not remove the ignition/steering lock.

        They use a standard size bolt/thread (I cannot remember the
size).  I used a dremmel to cut the sheared bolts and they they are
easy to remove.  Take 'em down to any hardware and find a match.  I
used Allen-head bolts because they will be a lot easier to
install/remove.

        It should be obvious by now that I have better anti-theft
devices in force than Triumphs original solution!  Besides, no
would-be car thief is going to climb under a dash with an complete set
of tools (unless he/she wants YOUR car, and then they will just take it
anyway, regardless of what anti-tehft devices are on board).

        Cheerio,

        Shane Ingate in San Diego