Wire Wheel Balancing

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wire Wheel Balancing
From: "C. Donald Emery, III" <cdemery3@thor.pla-net.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 08:52:57 -0600
Wire Wheel Experts:
   I put a new set of Dayton 5.5 X 15 in., 72 spoke chrome wires on my '69
TR-6 about one year ago.  Repeated attempts to have them balanced using the
newer computerized spin balancers have ben unsuccessful.  They can't center
spline wheels.  Dayton suggests using the following in order of preference:
   1.  An Alemite type balancer which balances the tires while on the car;
   2.  A Hoffman spin balancer with center-lock adapters (Dayton says there
were made about 20 years ago and I have a 1 in 100 chance of finding one!);
and
   3.  A good old fashion bubble balancer.
   The problem is that I haven't been able to find a tire shop with either
the Alemite or Hoffman spin balancers. Does anyone know of a tire shop in
the Chicago Area or NW Indiana Area with either on of these?
   If not, has anyone had their wheels balanced using a bubble balancer in
the last 20 years?...and if so, how does it work?
   Thanks in advance for your help.
                           Don Emery
                           Crown Point, IN
                           CC 27639