Re: Wire Wheel Balancing

To: "C. Donald Emery, III" <cdemery3@thor.pla-net.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Balancing
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 23:00:40 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
C. Donald Emery, III wrote:

> Wire Wheel Experts:
>    I put a new set of Dayton 5.5 X 15 in., 72 spoke chrome wires on my
> '69
> TR-6 about one year ago.  Repeated attempts to have them balanced
> using the
> newer computerized spin balancers have ben unsuccessful.  They can't
> center
> spline wheels.  Dayton suggests using the following in order of
> preference:
>    1.  An Alemite type balancer which balances the tires while on the
> car;
>    2.  A Hoffman spin balancer with center-lock adapters (Dayton says
> there
> were made about 20 years ago and I have a 1 in 100 chance of finding
> one!);
> and
>    3.  A good old fashion bubble balancer.
>    The problem is that I haven't been able to find a tire shop with
> either
> the Alemite or Hoffman spin balancers. Does anyone know of a tire shop
> in
> the Chicago Area or NW Indiana Area with either on of these?
>    If not, has anyone had their wheels balanced using a bubble
> balancer in
> the last 20 years?...and if so, how does it work?
>    Thanks in advance for your help.
>                            Don Emery
>                            Crown Point, IN
>                            CC 27639
>                            1969 TR-6

Don,

Back in the "old days", when spin balancing was new tech stuff, and you
had to balance them on the car, it was highly time consuming and grossly
inadequate.  I could bubble balance tires and guarantee them to 100mph,
and never lose any sleep over someone coming back to me.  The trick is
to make certain that your balancer is as close to perfectly level, as
you can, before you attempt to balance a tire. Then using four weights
of equal size you space them at a ninety degree angle from the bubble
(2-45 degrees on either side of a center line with the bubble, and move
them away from or towards each other until centering the bubble.  But
you never go more than 110 degrees.  If you can not balance it you
either use heavier weights or lighter weights depending on if you can't
get the bubble centered or if you have over compensated the weight.

Hard to explain over the wire, but easy enough to show you how in
person.  You attach one weight to the front of the rim and the other
directly behind it on the inside  or back of the rim.  The recheck your
balance.  It is kind of a finesse type art form, like adjusting carbs.
After you learn the tricks, it ain't no mystery.  We used to balance the
wire wheels on Jags, MG's, A/Hs and TRs, even some antique American
cars,  I just hated working with tubes and liners.

As always, this JMO.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitffire4
Houston