Re: Wire Wheel Balancing

To: "Zink" <zink@pdq.net>, "C. Donald Emery, III" <cdemery3@thor.pla-net.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Balancing
From: "birdy" <p.bird@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 21:00:10 -0000
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I am no expert with wire wheels,but i do have some experience with
motorcycle tyres and wheels and the balancing of them. The cheapest way i
have found to balance a wheel is to have two supports that are higher than
the centre of the wheel (axle/jack stands are ideal if they are tall
enough). A piece of pipe is inserted through the centre of the wheel like a
spindle and then the wheel is supported by the pipe across the stands. Spin
the wheel and wait for it to stop, mark the bottom of the wheel with a
piece of chalk and then spin the wheel again. If the same point on the
wheel is at the bottom again then this is the heavy part which needs
balancing, it's usually the bit with the valve. Place a weight opposite the
heavy spot and spin again. If the same spot returns to the bottom then the
weight you put on is too light, if the weight is at the bottom then it is
too heavy. Adjust the weight until neither spot returns to the bottom then
repeat the process until the stop position is completely random. This
method i have been told is used by the grand prix motorcycle teams for
their wheels and they don't have any trouble upto 180MPH so if it's
possible it should be okay for even the fastest TRs. A good thing to do is
to try and get a pipe that fits snuggly into the hole in the centre of the
wheel otherwist the offset causes problems.

Hope this helps

cheers

birdy

Merry christmas to all Triumph dudes, young or old we are all kids.