Re: Sparking Spit

To: Tom Ambrose <tambrose@tir.com>
Subject: Re: Sparking Spit
From: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 15:34:23 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Tom,

What kind of ignition system do you have. Are you still running the
stock Lucas electronic? Coils generally don't just go bad, not to say
they can't. Have you checked to see if you have correct voltage
available to the "+" coil terminal? Since it won't start, check voltage
with the key in the start position. With the starter motor cranking,
there should still be about 10v. available to the coil. If the starter
is disabled, the available voltage should be close to battery voltage.
In the "ON" position, voltage should be around 7-8v. If you get readings
close to correct...

Go to the local parts store and buy a cheap coil (for your vintage,
you'll need an unballasted "6 volt" unit) and swap 'em out to see if you
get a better spark. It never hurts to have an extra coil hanging in
your garage anyway. If you get a good clean blue-white spark, capable of
jumping a 1/4" gap, you've solved your problem.

If there's no improvement, you may have to foot the bill for an
aftermarket electronic igntion. The Crane XR-700 is fairly priced and
installs easily. I've heard of some problems with the Petronix (doesn't
mean they're no good, though), and the Illumintion is about $70 more
(the module and pick-up kits are sold separately).

Hope that helps,
Charlie B.