Re: Sparking Spit

To: "Tom Ambrose" <tambrose@tir.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sparking Spit
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 18:02:30 GMT
Tom writes:

>I'm trying to resurrect a ' 78 Spitfire. While I'm electrically challenged,
>I did manage to put in a fresh battery and new plugs. The engine turns over
>fine, but doesn't start. In checking for spark first at a plug and then
>from the coil, I noticed that there was only a spark after some seconds and
>no more.
>
>Is this a symptom of a bad coil?

Don't know...perhaps.  But there are a few other things you can check
before you swap it out.

I'm taking a second to think this through here because I forget how
these silly electronical gizmos are supposed to work. :-)

Okay.  Grab a DC voltmeter and attach the black lead to a good ground
under the bonnet...the negative battery terminal will do if nothing
else looks easy.

Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position <not cranking> and
connect the red voltmeter lead to the coil + terminal.

You should see a steady voltage here...more than 6 but less than 12.
If you get it then go on to the next step.  Otherwise we need to see
where we lost it...ballast wire, ignition switch, etc.  More e-mail
required. :-)

Move the red voltmeter lead over to the coil - <minus> terminal.
Have an assistant turn the ignition key to "start".  Watch the meter
as the engine cranks.  A digital meter might be difficult to read
here, but I'd expect an analog meter to show a jumping needle if the
electronic module was healthy.

FWIW, I've had no real experience troubleshooting the LUCAS electronic
ignition.  It's fitted to my parts Spit but that car hasn't run in a
decade. :-)

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits