Re: spitfire coil info needed

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: spitfire coil info needed
From: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 15:14:28 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Joe, Richard, et al,

After dealing with quite a few Spits, I've never seen a stock ballast
resistor mounted on the fire wall next to the coil. Depending on the
year, there was a drive resistor that was part of the electronic
ignition. It was ususlly mounted to one of the alternator or air pump
bolts.

Are we sure that it's really a ballast resistor, or is it the capacitor
that's attached to the "+" coil terminal to suppress radio interference?
If it is indeed a ballast resistor, it could have been installed by a
well intentioned DPO. I've got a '73 Mk IV/1500 and its ballast resistor
is wrapped in the port side engine bay wiring harness.

Hope that clears up the muck,
Charlie B.

ps. And, I'm not an expert either!