Re: Spitfire/ 4A-GE conversion

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Spitfire/ 4A-GE conversion
From: Scott Davis <ssdavis1@ews.uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:41:58 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Netca>
>My opinion would be to do as you are, but use only solid metal lines after
>the 40psi pump.  The rubber fittings can probably take that, provided you
>use worm-clamps instead of those quick springy-ones... but I wouldn't risk
>it.
        Toyota does make a flexible hose which mounts right after the fuel
filter.
 I had thought of using this hose....  The fuel filter would be mounted to
the firewall, and the flex hose from there to the intake maniofld/fuel rail.

>Don't forget that you will have to put the high pressure pump on the
>engine, or else use a high-pressure flexy hose (a la clutch) to get gas
>between the shaking engine and non-shaking body!
        Right-o....

        Any ideas on what pumps are available there on the aftermarket?  I would
use the stock Toyota fuel pump, except that
        1. I  would have to plump the gas tank to recieve it internally- these
pumps are cooled using the gasoline adn will burn out quickly if not
immersed...  Which would mean that
        2. I'd have to also replumb the fuel lines, custom job all the way, to
be
able to handle the 40+psi fuel pressure.  Anyone in the Chicago area do
this kind of work?

        Then again, that might just be worth not having to deal with two fuel
pumps... Less moving parts, less to break.  Thoughts?

Scott

Some people are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them.....

http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~ssdavis1
80 Corolla GT-S   TE720408517   4A-GE  T-50  4.1:1
80 Corolla Wagon   TE7250*  3cylendar 3T-C (soon to be 13T-U)  Automatic
79 Triumph Spitfire 1500 convertable      Soon to be 4A-GE/T-50
85Coupe/85LB Corolla GT-S parts cars