RE: rusty gas tank

To: "'Paulpop@ssnet.com'" <Paulpop@ssnet.com>
Subject: RE: rusty gas tank
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 14:12:10 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
1.      Remove back section of interior.  I can't remember where it is
fastened; I think at the top there are 2 or 3 tabs that the interior
screws go into.  Also might be a couple going into the "floor".
2.      Remove back wall of trunk compartment.  Again, I think there
were 2 screws into the floor and few across the top.
3.      Drain fuel tank.  There is a drain plug at the bottom center of
the tank.  Fairly large wrench size - 3/4"?  I couldn't get mine loose
so drained from gas line connection after ...
4.      Disconnect gas line at bottom (probably passenger side on your
car).  If tank isn't completely empty expect gas to go everywhere until
the line is separated and moved out of the way.  I used a rag to control
it.   Needless to say, work in a well ventilated and spark free
environment.
5.      Remove the vent line from top of passenger side of tank.  It is
a real awkward position and you might get a few messed up knuckles.
6.      Disconnect electrical leads to the fuel guage sending unit.
(Can't remember if it is one or two)
7.      Remove bolts from the tank hold down straps.  2 straps - one
bolt each in trunk and in floor of cockpit area.  Then remove straps and
felt? padding.  Seem to recall you have to work at getting them out.
They bend easily and can be reshaped when re-installing.
8.      Remove gas tank filler lid by unscrewing it from the piece
fastened to the filler hose.  You'll need to remove the hose from the
tank to get it out.  I had a heck of time and ended up cutting the hose.

9.      Tilt top of tank away from cockpit and remove through back seat
opening.

Most difficult part of re-installation is the putting together the
filler hose to the tank and then to the threaded coupler.  Maybe someone
can give you a hint on how to do it because I spent better part of three
hours fighting it.   I think I ended up shortening the hose a little to
get it to slip on.

As usual - just be patient and it'll happen.

Later,
Carl F. Musson
TS25264L - borrowing the engine/tranny from
TS81802LO - body off restoration in progress...
Tampa, Florida (USA)
E-Mail: Musson@arts.usf.edu
http://www.arts.usf.edu/~musson/triumph/ (update in progress)