Re: Tie rods - washer necessary?

To: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Tie rods - washer necessary?
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:34:46 -0700
Cc: jbonina@nectech.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
(snip)

> >      *** Do you mean if I take off the nut I just put on yesterday in order

> >      to reinstall washers that I have to buy new nuts? No big deal; on

> >      $.60/ea.  (Jeff)

> Replace them. This is two things: one = safety, two = the tie rod ends

> should last a long time... if the nylock nut is marginal due to re-use

> now, it will be even more marginal in 5 or 10 years. Not replacing them

> is false economy. Remember: this is suspension - a problem with the

> suspension will most likely happen at the worst time, often with very bad

> results. Don't skimp. Or tell me what roads you are using and when so

> that I can avoid them... ;-) Seriously, it ain't worth skimping here.

(Bob Lang)

(snip)

I don't fully agree...  Let me quote from Carroll Smith's book: "Nuts,

Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook" (Carroll Smith:  professional

racer, driver, team manager, driver coach/guru, and, most importantly, a

design/develpment engineer.)

"Nylon collar elastic stop nuts cannot harm the bolt threads, are

reuseable many times and are also available as castellated nuts.  They

are manufactured to AN specs ....

I use AN variety."

And in my own experience, I feel they can be re-used.  Certainly, I

start to get nervous about re-using the ones that came with the car,

that, through appearance or ease of installation, seem worn out, or that
are of

unknown origin, etc. (particularly on such critical areas...) BUT Jeff

asked, if he needed to replace the one he just intalled...which suggests

to me, it's KNOWN TO BE a relatively new nut... and he's wondering if it

should be replaced, just because he's used it once or twice...  NO, I

don't think so.

If in doubt... just add locktite...  and, of course, always torque

properly.

My 2 cents.   I do recommend Carroll's book... it's a good read.

--Justin

http://www.greenheart.com/jmwagner