float bowl valves

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: float bowl valves
From: "Matthews, M D (Matt)" <matthmd@texaco.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 09:07:55 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Our racing spitfire is really spitting fire.

This weekend the carbs overflow at speed, the catch cans also over
flowed and dumped the fuel which caught fire and sent flames under the
car and two feet above the passenger door. Minimal damage (melted catch
can, concerned driver, etc.). Fire put out at start finish line by the
race starter before the driver hit the on board extinguisher.

The spitfire has modified MGB carbs. The float bowl rubber mounting
bracket has been modified to allow the carbs and bowls to be at right
angles for horizontal throttle bodies and vertical bowls. When the bolt
attaching them is tightened they are pretty rigid (too rigid?). There is
an electrical vane pump, a fuel filter, and a pressure regulator stet a
2.5 pounds, verified by an on board pressure gauge. We have tried both
viton tipped needles and gross jets. They seem to work for about 2 race
weekend and then begin to stick causing flooding and fuel overflow. I
would seem that this would mean that they would be replaced at least
evry week if we used the car on the street. 102 to 104 octane leaded
gas.

It seems to me I never had problems on other SU equipped cars, I never
had problems on this car with the single stromberg, but I must be doing
something wrong with these SU's.

Any suggestions?