Re: Need Info on TR4 Soft top

To: Butch Lewis <butchl@eudoramail.com>
Subject: Re: Need Info on TR4 Soft top
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 20:20:08 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Butch Lewis wrote:

> I recently purchased my first TR4 (1964). It had a new top still in the
> wrapping in the boot and has a frame that was folded back beneath the
> cover behind the rear seat. After unfolding the new top and raising the
> frame, I see no way to attach the top to the windscreen. I bought
...snip...
> clips) so I am returning it. Did the TR4 have two types of tops? What
> parts is mine missing ??

Yes, there are two kinds (actually three, if you stretch) of tops that can
be fitted to the TR4.

1) Original:  Is removed completely from the car when folded.  The rear
fasteners are all "lift-the-dot" kind.  The leading edge is fastened to
the car using a metal tab (in 3 pieces) that engage a lip on the front of
the chrome capping on the windshield.  There is 2 snaps at the ends of the
chrome capping.  Window sealing is acheived by an elastic job that holds
the vinyl against the window glass.  The hoodsticks are mounted with 2
bolts per side (on door posts) and there is a latch at the pivot point.

2) TR4A (1965-1967): Stays on the car when folded.  The rear fasteners are
lift-the-dot in the middle, and normal snaps on the sides.  The leading
edge is permanently attached to a metal bar that spans the front- on the
underside of the bar is a rubber gasket.  This metal bar is fastened to
the windscreen frame by 2 latches (look a bit like luggage latches?)  The
hoodstics are attached to the car using 3 bolts per side (also on door
posts); there is no latch.

3) TR250 or TR6: same as TR4A but has "normal snaps" all the way around
the back.  (I could be wrong here)  It also uses different latches at the
front.  The windows are sealed using rubber weatherstrip on the metal
frame- the top is sealed to the frame with velcro.

Art Kelly will probably fill in the blanks- he supplied most of this info
to me in the first place ;-)

As for buying parts, the best thing is to shop around.  I have almost
always bought locally because it's less hassle and there's no shipping.

-Malcolm
'62 TR4 (ex-TR6 top... to be replaced with original TR4 top)