Re: Bare metal pre-treatment (longish)

To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bare metal pre-treatment (longish)
From: Andrew Bernard Clippingdale <a.clippingdale@pgrad.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 11:00:56 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net<Pine.OSF.3.96.980715104324.21505B-100000@cassius.its.unimelb.edu.au>
James

I find that dilute phosphoric acid does a great job on protecting bare
metal until you are ready to paint it. It could be just the trick if you
are not sure how long it is going to be before you get around to painting.
The phosphoric acid reacts with the rust and forms a protective layer
over the metal which stops the water getting in. Over time, the protection
does reduce, but occasional re-application (I use a cheap paintbrush)
should do the trick. The finish is a bit sticky, and white in colour,
but nothing seems to get through it. When you are ready to paint, just
lightly wet sand the panel and then paint it ASAP!

I completely stripped and re-painted my 2500 PI a couple of years back,
and coated the whole body with phosphoric until we got ready to
paint. It came up fine!

Hope this helps

Andrew Clippingdale

'71 Triumph 2500 PI