RE: Bare metal pre-treatment (longish)

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Bare metal pre-treatment (longish)
From: Sharp Christopher Capt HQ AETC/CEPR <Christopher.Sharp@RANDOLPH.AF.MIL>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 14:39:12 -0500
Andrew makes a good point.  Phosphoric acid is the main ingredient in Metal
Prep, which I get from a local auto paint store.   It actually etches the
metal slightly.  I use a green scrubber I stole from the kitchen to apply
it, working in small (2-3 sq. ft) areas at a time.  I work the metal until I
get a clean slightly blue-ish tint then wipe down with some acrylic cleaner
to remove the residue, oil, dirt, etc. prior to painting.  It's hot here
(San Antonio) so the cleaner evaporates quickly, otherwise I use a hair
dryer to prevent it (the acrylic cleaner) from leaving a film on the clean
metal.