Re: TR4A Flywheel - description needed

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Bill Kelly" <kelly@dss.com>
Subject: Re: TR4A Flywheel - description needed
From: "DON BOYD, JOAN IKOMA" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 15:17:42 -0700
bill;

your thinking right . but... the presure plate needs to travel about .050"
to release. more for poorly fitting/manufactured/installed/whatever
systems, less if everything is perfect. my tr6 rod end is on the 3rd hole.
lightest pedal , least travel , but it still releases correctly with no
drag. this is why you need  < .008 disk runout and carful installatoin to
keep from tweeking the thing. ok... all things being equal, a diaphram
plate will take roughly the same force to push the pedal down, but the
spring as you go through it's compression will overcenter(like the little
clicker toy's we had when we were kids). once it's overcenter, the spring
is very easy to keep there.same effect(but different means ) as a compound
bow. keep in mind you still need the min travel nessisarry to get the
clutch released.if you keep moving the slave rod to a hole of grater
radius, you'll rapidly reach a point where the clutch will drag.try yours
on the 3rd hole but if your cluth is warped (for whatever reason) it wil
grind and be stiff going into gear. this is definately a situation where a
hour spent truing the disk on a surface plate will help. i hate to say this
but for a full description of the process, see a facory bmw manual for a
2002 , 320i , etc.