TR-4A - Clutch Slave Cylinder Installation Problems and questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-4A - Clutch Slave Cylinder Installation Problems and questions
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 09:51:10 -0700
Hi,
   I've encountered problems while re-installing the rebuilt clutch slave
cylinder in my '66 TR-4A.
  The slave cylinder pushrod connects to the clutch operating shaft arm via
a small adjustable fork and clevis arrangement which connects to one of
three holes in the arm.

1. When all parts are connected, the pushrod in not oriented axially, in
the horizontal plane, with respect to the slave cylinder.  Instead, it
points inward toward the center of the car.  There seems no fix for this
problem, short of completely dismantling the clutch.

2. It's not clear visually which of the three holes on the shaft arm should
be utilized; i.e., which yields the axial orientation of the pushrod, in
the vertical plane, closest to the direction of the slave cylinder - or
even whether a truly axial orientation is obtainable.  Any clever ideas for
this one?

3. The pushrod/fork assembly seems just a bit too long; i.e., adjusted to
its shortest, it either doesn't or just barely provides the .010 slack
required between the pushrod and the shaft arm when the system is at rest.
Perhaps someone improperly installed the pushrod from a TR-3.  Would it be
appropriate to solve this problem by putting in washers when installing the
slave cylinder to move it forward enough to provide the slack?

I should note that it is likely but not certain that the car ran many
thousands of miles this way without problem before I bought it.

Many thanks.

John Cowan

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus movie reviews, articles and Left/Progressive links at:
                           http://home.earthlink.net/~jfcowan