Re: TR-4A - Clutch Slave Cylinder Installation Problems and questions

To: "John Cowan" <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: TR-4A - Clutch Slave Cylinder Installation Problems and questions
From: "Ed Woods" <fogbros@nb.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 20:54:42 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
John,

A couple of observations about your TR4A clutch dilemma. I'm looking at the
Stanpart "Spare Parts Catalogue" for the TR4A, plate N. It shows the clutch
and slave cylinder arrangement. The rod is, as you say, adjustable. There is
no external return spring as used on the TR3 and TR4 with spring type
pressure plates. There is, unlike the TR3, TR4, an internal spring in the
slave cylinder.

Since there's an internal spring and no external spring, there can be no
free play in the clutch adjustment as in the TR3 and 4. The slave cylinder
piston will always be pushing against the rod and the rod against the clutch
operating shaft and the fork/release bearing against the diaphram spring.
The purpose of the adjustable rod is to make sure that the rod is long
enough to provide sufficient travel of the slave cylinder piston to release
the clutch; and short enough so that the piston doesn't bottom out in the
slave cylinder when the clutch is engaged.  In other words, with the clutch
engaged, you should still be able to push the slave cylinder piston further
back into its bore; and, with the clutch disengaged, the piston should not
have reached its retaining circlip at the end of the bore.

Just as I mentioned to a couple of TR3 gents some time back, the slave
cylinder bracket is between the slave cylinder and the operating shaft
lever.

Which of the three holes in the operating shaft lever that you use depends
on what it takes to operate the clutch. I'd choose the point furthest from
the shaft to lessen pedal force required to release the clutch. If it
doesn't move far enough to release, move it a notch closer...etc.

Only comment on your horizontal alignment problem is that what you have
ain't right. Are you sure the slave cylinder support bracket is properly
oriented? Is the slave cylinder support rod, which attaches to a sump bolt
and passes through the bracket and slave cylinder, in place?

Ed Woods