Waxoyl

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Waxoyl
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 15:55:13 EDT
On Sat, 10 Oct 1998
bjohnson@mmm.com
Wrote  Re: Like Waxoyl

Comments about Finnigans Waxoyl have recently been made on the list:
ie:

Waxoyl seems to be good stuff, my chassis members are full of it !
Remember to dunk the Waxoyl can into a bucket of very hot water before you
use it (take the cap off first).   It will probably be solid inside the can
!  Even then the best way to apply it is with a compressed air gun - the
one they supply is not very adequate.  You can buy a 'special' compressed
air gun here in England - they have a better  spray nozzle at the end as
well as a longer pipe.
Yes, Waxoyl is certainly a 'reasonable' rustproofer, but a few words about my
experiences...by all means put it into your chassis/frame, but bear in mind
that the 'wax' is diluted by white spirit which is exceedingly flammable, so
you can make it more liquid/runny by heating it in a bowl of hot water prior
to application, but on NO ACCOUNT allow a naked flame anywhere near to the
stuff, as you could have a very nasty experience...I have heard of a club
member who put it into his chassis frame and afterwards, a naked flame from a
gas welder came close to the car, and the white spirit inside the frame
ignited, and could not be put out!!!
The hapless individual not only lost his car, but his garage also, and nearly
his home and his life...so be warned...
Waxoyl, like most of the products should be re-applied at least every five
years or less, as the white spirit dires out and the wax rolls up into a dry
lump inside the frame and has no rustproofing properties at all.
Personally, I prefer Dinitrol, which consistently wins awards in Practical
Classic magazines for it's rustproofing abilities, Dinitrol also market
several different products depending upon the task that they are required to
perform...ie: killing/converting existing rust and protecting remaining metal,
or protecting fresh metal either inside or outside box sections/chassis frames
etc
Finally, I'm not sure as to the regulations regarding sending some of these
in/flammable products thru' the postal system...that may be a problem also.
Good Luck with your rustproofing and thank goodness if you don't live on this
soggy salt-laden island of Great Britain !!!
Leon F Guyot
nb.Dinitrol can be obtained from John Kipping Triumph Spares.