Re: TR6 buyers advice?

To: rshaffer@gmu.edu
Subject: Re: TR6 buyers advice?
From: triumph@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 98 09:45:03 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Rob Shaffer wrote:
        > ...I'd like to seriously look at buying a TR6.  To put it bluntly,
        > what could I get for around $2000?

IMHO, $2000 will not buy you much.  Even if you do all the
mechanicals (motor, g/box, brakes, suspension, exhaust), you
are looking at a minimum of of several thousands of dollars
in parts alone.  For example, I bought my TR6 in 1991 for $4000,
and have since spent an additional $5000 in parts and labour (but
excluding the Weber DCOE40s and manifold that I recently purchased,
but that is another story :) reconditioning the mechanicals; I've
not even touched the bodywork yet, which has some rust in the
floorpans and one rocker, so the car looks the same (externally)
as the day I bought it......

But then again, maybe you are one of those gifted people who
can resurrect $2000 TR6s, and I hope you are, because a $2000 TR6
deserves to be saved and not parted out.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego