bonnet clearance

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: bonnet clearance
From: Ken Bertschy <kentop@dakotacom.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 05:46:50 -0700
The bonnet on my 77 spit got a pimple right in the middle of it! At first I
thought that I stupidly left a tool on top of the radiator and it dented
the bonnet from the underside when I closed it. But no, what caused it was
the set screw for the upper radiator hose clamp. I had positioned it on top
of the hose for easy access, but there wasn't enough room under the bonnet
to accomodate it!  There must be zero clearence under there. Is this the
way it was designed, or am I seeing a symptom of a mis-aligned or
improperly adjusted bonnet?