Stromberg Needle Height

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Stromberg Needle Height
From: "Janssen, Lee K" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 06:37:08 -0600
Yet another question that will go unanswered:
I'm running a TR6 with dual EGO sensors that indicate that I am running lean
above 2500 rpm. The solution is to either get a replacement needle or modify
the one I have.
The problem is this: How do I know which portion of the needle is actually
in the jet?
My first thought was to monitor the vacuum above the diaphragm which defines
the force trying to lift the carb piston. This force is offset by the spring
trying to force the piston back down. However, I cannot convince myself that
the Bernoulli forces acting on the bottom of the piston are negligible.
Another possible solution is to make a resistive sensor (10 turn pot, long
wire and a spring) to determine the piston position.
Of course the correct solution is to use a rolling dynamometer, however, it
seems just a little bit like overkill for such a simple (?) problem.
Thanks in advance
Lee Janssen
Denver CO