Re: "Rookie" questions....

To: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Subject: Re: "Rookie" questions....
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 21:33:34 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: tr4fun@ibm.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 14 Oct 1998 KTRIUMPH@aol.com wrote:

> << If I prime before welding the thing in,
>  don't
>  I burn the primer when welding, leaving exposed areas for rust??  Do I
>  assemble, then rust-proof the enclosed areas??   >>
>
> The answer is yes, that is, do both. A thorough rust proofing job is
> particularly important.

I left two 1/2" holes in the inside of my rockers (I think they're put in
at the factory to aid drainage) and used them to spray all manner of zinc
primers, paints, and undercoating inside.  If I get WaxOyl it will go in
too.  The holes are on the inside, only viewable from under the car.

There are also holes for the quick-nuts on the bottoms of TR4 rockers.
Handy paint-ports too.

I also tried to primer/paint before welding.  Gas welding tends to burn
away everything within 1" of a weld bead.  I think arc welding burns less,
but I'm not sure how much less.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm