RE: speed bleeders

To: "'Peter Zaborski'" <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: RE: speed bleeders
From: gbuck@pinnaclegrp.com (Gordon Buck)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 08:29:36 -0700
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Peter,
I ran a clear plastic line from the bleeder into a quart glass jar sitting on
the floor.  I found that first of all you can begin to feel the pedal get
harder as the air is displaced.  Then, I was able to then lean over and see if
there were any bubbles in the line as is was pumped out.  If you have a long
enough clear plastic line you can position the jar where you can get a look at
it.  It might be nicer to have someone else help to watch for air in the line,
but I was able to get by without.

The big advantage I found was that I didn't have to worry about an air leak
around the hose or plastic line to the jar or some attached check-valve
mechanism.  Also, the pressure when the pedal was depressed didn't pop the hose
or mechanism off the bleed nipple.  The bleed nipple itself contains the check
valve and it is threaded into the caliper or wheel cylinder so the pressure
can't blow it off.

I also didn't have to deal with opening and closing the bleed nipple by hand
with each pedal stroke as I have sometimes had to do to get the system to bleed.

I was able by myself to sit in the car and pump the pedal several times keeping
an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir.  At the same time knowing there
would be no air leaking around the hose connection to the bleed nipple or that
pressure might pop the hose off.

I found that they worked great.  The best investment I have made with regard to
bleeding hydraulics.  It probably took me 1/3 the time using Speed Bleeders
that it normally took me before to get the job done.  I also intend to see if I
can replace the clutch slave cylinder bleed screw with one.

Hope this helps.

Gordon Buck
Sultan, Washington
71 TR6  CC62806