Spitfire "Butt Sag"

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire "Butt Sag"
From: fred griffiths <griffco@cadvision.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 08:38:15 -0700
Regarding the recent suggestions (exotic and otherwise) for
curing the "down in the rear" look on Spitfires, how does this sound.
        For my '74 1500, I machined from nylon stock small disks about 1"
diameter, with a raised centre about 1/2" diameter, and overall only 3/8"
thick.  They fit into the dimples in the ends of the upper leaf springs,
in place of the original rubber bits which are squashed flat or worn off
completely.  The look of the rear is very much improved, and gives a more
correct camber to the rear wheels.
        To remove the old rubber bits, I had to dismantle the spring, but
to replace one of the nylon bits, should I need to, it can be done by
prying the leaves apart while the spring is still in the car.
        Before someone says "that'll put too much strain on the tips of
the spring leaves" let me say, I drive on smooth roads, summertime only,
no rallying, racing or hill climbing!
Cheers, Fred
--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths