Re: Herald

To: Ian Stehlik <ian.stehlik@orana.spirit.net.au>
Subject: Re: Herald
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 22:24:04 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Ian Stehlik wrote:

> We have a 1960 Herald, bought this year with a view to cheap, fun "al
> fresco" motoring for our family of four here in Canberra, Australia.
> "Harriet" is a two tone saloon with the roof removed and a soft top made up
> by a previous owner.  She had been unused for three years when purchased
> and is now a slightly rough but roadworthy daily driver.
>
> I was interested in the recent thread on dating Triumphs.  Our car's
> details are:

OK, I'll take a semi-educated guess:

> Commision No          G 17881

Puts in the latter part of 1959. Production started early in 1959, and
the first saloon built in calendar year 1960 was around G23752.

> Engine No             FE 10981 (948cc, assumed to be orignal but not certain)

This is a puzzler. FE engines usually are U.S.-specification 1296cc
Spitfire engines. But it wouldn't be the first time Triumph used the same
codes for different purposes. The most obvious question that comes to
mind regarding the engine is whether the head is a six-port (siamesed
exhaust ports) or eight-port?

> Body No               2556KA

I believe that this indicates an Australian-assembled car (AMI?).

That's my initial guess. Anyone else (Leon, William, Tony) care to add to
this?

--Andy