Re: Radio

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Radio
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:51:06 EDT
>Philip E. Barnes wrote:

> When I bought my car, the radio in it (the one recently found) had no
> speaker connected to it. In addition, the car had the early "kidney pads"
> that have no speaker cut-outs. These are correct for the car, since the
> monaural radio would have no use for two speakers. I believe that the
> speaker was in some sort of enclosure suspended in the passenger side
> footwell, as there are the vestiges of this arrangement still present...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My 1967 TR4A IRS definitely had a single speaker "box" mounted under the
passenger (right side) footwell.  It had an open back, and mounted with two
bolts at the top, firing the sound more or less down to toward the floor.  I
remember that it was black metal, krinkle finish, and took either a 5"X7" or a
6"X9" speaker (can't remember exactly).  The box was sort of "house" shaped,
with no "roof" and the speaker would be mounted to the "floor."  It sounded
terrible with the open top.

Now to wax rhapsodic for a moment...I installed an 8-track player in the
glovebox and mounted two small speaker boxes on a homemade wooden bracket in
the occasional seat.  It sounded great until somebody stole the 8-track.  I
sold the car about 25 years ago.  Thanks for listening!

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport