Re: Heater control valve replacement

To: Scott.Mackay@intl.sematech.org
Subject: Re: Heater control valve replacement
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:33:12 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 Scott.Mackay@intl.sematech.org wrote:

> Had to play McIver this morning, the heater control valve on the '6 took a
>dump
> and emptied the contents of my radiator to the outside world.  Luckily there
> were enough puddles from the recent rain to provide a refill (yes, I WILL be
> flushing soon!) and get to work.

It's "MacGuyver".  I think McIver runs trains.

> Has anyone found a good replacement for these valves?  I remember a lot of
> complaints on the list on the parts supplies by the standard sources.  Our
> American brethren vehicles must have a similar unit on those monster V8's that
> will hold up well on our cars.  HELP!

I think that a International Scout (early) uses the same valve; you want
something with 3/8 NPT on one end and 1/2" hose barb (bib?) on the other.
However the scout valve costs about the same as the TR one, and may be
hard to find.

Alternatively you can use regular plumbing fittings.  I will be intalling
a SS ball valve on the TR4.  I tried a nylon valve but it didn't like the
heat of the coolant.

If memory serves a Volkswagen rabbit also uses a "pull to open" hot water
valve, but it is straight-thru pipe so you'd need to rig a) some means of
holding it steady and b) some means of getting a short run of 3/8 NPT to
1/2" hose (not very difficult, requires 1 fitting and 2 more hose clamps)

Hopefully the TR6 valve is the same as the TR4 one.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm