TR4 ignition switch

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR4 ignition switch
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 09:29:19 -0800 (PST)
I was pondering my slight "red light on" problem over the past few days.

The light only glows with the lights on.  It is very faint.

It gets brighter as engine revs increase.  It goes out at about 900 RPM
(them comes on again if the revs drop too low- but that's a different
reason)

I suspect that the voltage feed on the battery side of the light is NOT
12V or 14V or whatever it should be.

The only things that would impede Mr. Electron are in the wires, on the
voltage regulator, and in the ignition switch.

My voltage regulator has been bypassed, as I have a Chevy alternator
conversion.  I have checked, cleaned, and re-wired the wires (not all,
just most)

I think I will probably crawl inside soon and set up some test probes to
get the voltage readings at various points, BUT before I begin...

Does anyone know HOW the igntion switch works in a TR4?  Is it 2 sets of
breaker points?  Can they get pitted?  More importantly, can they be
cleaned?

If I have too much resistance in the points then it's quite possible that
there is sufficient voltage drop to get the red-light indicator to glow.
It would also explain my hard starting from cold (not enough juice to make
a big spark)

The other thing is the ground strap.  I hope to have another one made up
today to see if it helps.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm