Re: TR3/4 engine swap

To: KTRIUMPH@aol.com, mfrancis@triax.com, fogbros@nb.net, bob_kinderlehrer@net.com
Subject: Re: TR3/4 engine swap
From: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:37:50 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Listers,
        Thanks to the folks above and any others I may have missed. Here is the
complete story _as told to me_. Customer (to whom I've sold nothing) has a
Delmar which is a TR3 based limited production car. He needs to replace the
original engine. He is trying to do it quick and "inexpensive". He has in
his possession a TR4 engine with a 9-spring clutch. He wants to leave the
original 3 tranny in because he says you have to remove the fibreglas body
to get it out. Here is what he is "planning" to do... ready for this?  Put
the 4 engine in with the 4 flywheel after having a "machinist" bevel the
ring gear the other way so he can use the bullet- nose starter (so he can
use the 3 tranny).  You all have said that he also must change the front
engine plate for the mounts, this hasn't daunted him.
        The numbers concerned, if they matter.  Old TR3 engine  TS191494E   TR4
replacement CT37384E
        Personally, I'd like to see him take his time, do it right, and
build/find
a proper TR3 engine. Apparently, unless there are other reasons than those
above, he will proceed. Any more good roadblocks? Or am I all wet thinking
there might be some worth to being correct. Something to ponder. I'm
stalling him right now (and I think I found an engine)
Thanks again,  Peter  C   (on list now not just digest)
.... soon a TRiumph?

Peter Caldwell
MGC-GT  , 100-4, '31 MM8 Cammy, Innocenti S,
'52 Champ, '60 L-R 109 SW, 3 '64-73 L-R 88's
nosimport@mailbag.com