RE: 74 TR6 - Front wheel bearings - cover

To: "'Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov'" <Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov>, "G. Ganoung" <gg07165@spectra.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: 74 TR6 - Front wheel bearings - cover
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:52:15 -0600
        >I assume you're talking about the dust covers on the front hubs.
They don't
        >have threads...they are a pull out push in fit.

Actually Bud, they were designed from the factory to be removed by screwing
in a #8 (think that's the size.. gotta get my Bentley's out) self tapping
screw.  What typical is a PO has already done this and stripped it out.  So
go another size larger.

For my Spitfire autocross car (same dust caps) I wound up chewing the hole a
bit larger and using a 1/4 USS bolt as the extractor.  As to the chewing
part.. no, my dentist wasn't happy  :-).

You have to be careful about denting the dust cap too much, it'll hit on the
castle nut and at very least pop the cap off.  And it'd be a good idea to at
least clean the grease off the cap and tape over the hole when it's all back
together.

YMMV

Jim