RE: RE: 74 TR6 - Front wheel bearings - cover

To: "'Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov'" <Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: RE: 74 TR6 - Front wheel bearings - cover
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 18:03:49 -0600
        > Doesn't that let grease eventually drip out and be thrown
        > about by the wheel (maybe that's a way of keeping the lugs
lubricated)?
        > I can't think of a good reason for having/or putting a hole in a
dust
        > cover if it could be avoided.  If my dust covers had a hole I'd be

        > tempted to plug the hole with some J&B Weld and be rid of that
        > unnecessary LBC leak.

        Bud,

        Quick answer:  No, the wheel bearing grease tends to get "thrown"
into the inside of the hub by centrifigal force.  If you packed your hub
completely solid with grease then it would heat up and drip out the hole...
but we wouldn't do that now, would we?

        If I could find an appropriate sized dust cap with a lip to use for
extraction... then I'd happily use those instead.

        If I remember tonight I'll try to scan the section in the Bentley
and post it on my website (for non-commercial use only of course :-).

        Jim