Re: Saturday's Car & Driver TV Show

To: Ron and Angie <nottingham@alltel.net>
Subject: Re: Saturday's Car & Driver TV Show
From: "Johnny Storm: International Racing car driver" <hiu06f@bangor.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:22:55 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: Bristol7@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net

On Sat, 5 Jan 1980, Ron and Angie wrote:

 would you really like to have a 1200lb Lotus with a 100hp 1.5L
> engine or a 1200lb Lotus with a 200hp 2.5L engine?

 I'll take the Elan with the 130bhp 1600, a big ole heavy 2.5 out front
will shaft the handling. To paraphase pirelli (most recently) "power is
nothing without control"! There is alternative to displacement!

> How much power could a twin turbo Ford 427 or a
> Chevy 454 have made?  It would have been allot more than the Porsche, which
> had a smaller displacement.

 the porsche may also have had way less turbo lag being a smaller
engine? Also doesn't multi-valve heads and other trickery help? See
above lotus twin-cam!

 Like most of the more serious Spitfire racers out there, they use the 1500
> engine in their race cars.

 Not in the UK! Fit a 1500 and you clash with cossie caterhams (not
y-turbos but bda 1700's etc) and err Lotus twin-cams, etc!

> Like I said, "Ain't no replacement for displacement."

  There is with restrictive racing classes and the use of multi cams and
valves etc!

            Johnny '70 Viterald (1500cc, one cam and probably 8-valves)