Re: Saturday's Car & Driver TV Show

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "rtriplett@bjservices.com" <rtriplett@bjservices.com>
Subject: Re: Saturday's Car & Driver TV Show
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:22:21 -0500
rtriplett@bjservices.com writes:

>>Outhandles? Yes.  Looks better? Well, IMO, yes.  Out powers?  Don't think
>>so.  Stock for stock, the AH is more powerful.  Mod for mod, the AH is
>still
>>more powerful.  Ain't no replacement for displacement.
>I'm not a Healy expert, but didn't the 300 have a 4 cyl engine?  I
remember
>driving one years ago, and it was very underpowered.  Maybe I'm getting
>confused with another model.  The 3000 is a different story altogether,
but
>at the prices they're going for these days, one can buy a Jag XKE.  Now
>that is a car to covet!!

The original Austin Healey 100 had a 2.6 litre 4 cylinder engine.
Since the TR3 was faster Donald Healey upgraged to a 6 cylinder
of the same displacement the following year.  Since the TR3 was
STILL faster he moved to a 3 litre 6 cylinder engine which evolved
over the years to about 140 HP.

The Austin Healey always was up market one notch from the Triumph
TR in terms of cost and status.  In terms of performance, however,
they were esentially equivalent (IMHO).

I have many friends who own Austin Healeys. They are nice cars.
But for the price of a 3000 I can have a nice TR6.  And a nice
TR3!  And a spitfire driver!

And if I could afford 2 Austin Healeys I would buy one XKE roadster. ;-)

Dave