Re: ? TR3 Windshield stanchion

To: musson@satie.arts.usf.edu
Subject: Re: ? TR3 Windshield stanchion
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:20:38 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 2/12/99 6:19:27 PM EST, musson@satie.arts.usf.edu writes:

<< On my '58 there is a bracket that is mounted between the scuttle and
 windshield stanchion (P/N 552818 & 819, Plate assembly, stanchion guide -
 p.98 spares catalog; Plate AM #'s 10 & 11).  Although the spares catalog
 list several alternatives to some of the related parts, it does not list
 anything different for the post 60000 TR3's.  There were none in my pile of
 parts and the spare scuttle section w/stanchions does not have any.  Were
 they discontinued somewhere along the run or are these unobtanium parts?

Hi Carl
Earlier TR3's had a removeable windscreen, so you could mount the real small
"racing" windscreen with bolts just ahead of the front tonneau capping. These
early w/s used dzus fasteners to attach the stanchions to the plate you
describe. On later cars (post 60000?) the dzus/plate arrangement was done away
with and the stanchions are attached with chrome slot head bolts. The two
arrangements are not interchangeable, and the presence of the bolts on the
cowl should be a pretty good indicator of the type of stanchion anchor used.
My 58 has the dzus type whilst my 62 has the bolt type. Shouldn't be too hard
too find a used dzus anchor plate, and the dzus fasteners themselves are
available from the big 3.
Hope this helps.
Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A