RE: ? TR3 Windshield stanchion

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ? TR3 Windshield stanchion
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:47:20 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Since I started this thread - I'll see if I can wrap it up.

When the dzus fastener (slotted head) changed over to the slotted head screw
(@~TS60000) the stanchion plate (my description) was discontinued or
modified to accommodate that change.  It is very possible that there was not
a replacement for the plate during the balance of the '3 line since there
are so many that do not have one.  However, in my mind, it makes since to
have something there.  The slot in the stanchion is still there.  The holes
in the body are there to allow for the screws.  This combination equals an
opportunity for water to get to a place that it is definitely not wanted...
True, it may not have been a concern at the factory, but I can't believe
that the "engineers" would purposefully create a possible problem.

So - TeriAnn  or anyone else - the next time you have an occasion to have
the windscreen off a post-60000 car, and have a stanchion plate, could you
please take a couple photos of it.   Also a couple measurements of the
thickness.   I will continue to search for some, but if necessary I can make
them out of aluminum or plastic.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

Carl