RE: TR6 OD question

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 OD question
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 20:06:59 -0500
>I certainly wouldn't try to soften the shift by adjusting the lever arm.
> The only way it would work is if you either slow down the movement, which
>will likely burn up the solenoid, or make the valve leak when the lever is
>in the engaged position, which will eventually make the O/D slip.<

Slowing the movement of the arm is not necessary.  My understanding
of the adjustment is that you adjust the arm so it opens the actuating valve
just a crack.  This way the hydraulic pressure in the OD builds up more slowly
allowing a litttle more clutch slip and more gradual OD engagement.  It seems
that this is a fairly critical adjustment and has to be adjusted slightly and
then tested.  I think that the OD engaging with a "bang" is tougher on the
system than letting it engage more slowly.  De-clutching is not necessary with
the proper adjustment.

I must say that mine is not yet adjusted to the optimum, and I also prefer
to de-clutch than let it hit hard.....

-Tony
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/arhodes