RE: TR6 OD question

Subject: RE: TR6 OD question
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 18:11:00 -0800
Cc: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Tony :

The problem is that, to engage the overdrive, the lever does not open a
valve, but rather closes it.  The valve is actually a bypass that bleeds
pressure out of the O/D hydraulic system when the O/D is disengaged.  If
the valve does not close fully, then your O/D is operating on less than
normal pressure, which can lead to slippage under load, especially when the
oil is hot.  Of course, slippage heats the oil, which increases the
slippage ...

Not a good idea, IMO.

If you really want to reduce the operating pressure, there is an adjustment
(at least on the early A-types) to do so.  It is not dependent (much) on
oil viscosity and so is temperature independent.

Everything I've read on automatic transmissions (which bear at least some
resemblance to our O/D boxes <g>) suggests that fast clutch engagement
reduces wear. (as long as the other components can stand the strain <g>)

Randall