FW: RE: speedo cal values

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: FW: RE: speedo cal values
From: Scott.Mackay@intl.sematech.org
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:07:16 -0600

Tony and all:

Speedo calibrations are very near and dear to my heart, since I spent 3 months
scratching my head why mine indicated me traveling at 90 MPH and I was getting
run over in a 60 MPH zone!

I've gone through the numbers many times verifying engine speed, time to travel
distance, pacing with a 'known' standard calibrated vehicle, as have a number of
others on the list.  I believe that the 1120 turns/mile calibration is correct
for a stock TR6 with a 3.7:1 diff and 'stock' tire diameters (26.5" dia, ~83"
cir).  1180 turns/mile, I believe, would under indicate you speed by ~5%.

Based on the same calculations, I believe that the 1000 turns/mile speedo came
out of a 3.45 diff '6, but I have not been able to verify that yet.

Scott Mackay
Austin TX