RE: TR2/3/4 water pump rebuild

To: "'Gregory Petrolati'" <gpetrola@prairienet.org>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR2/3/4 water pump rebuild
From: "Mark Gendron" <mister_toad@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:03:11 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'Mark Gendron'" <mister_toad@email.msn.com>
From: Gregory Petrolati [mailto:gpetrola@prairienet.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 1999 5:41 AM

> It seemed like gilding the lily to me. If you simply MUST HAVE
> have the grease nipple, why not drill a blind hole in the pump
> body at the appropriate location on the casting and epoxy one in?
>
> There's a good reason the design was changed. It wasn't just
> "cheaper" to build a pump with sealed bearings...

I don't disagree with you. But I want to maintain the original
appearance. I don't care whether the pump can actually be greased,
as long as I can drill it for a "looks only" grease nipple.

If I correctly understand the current supply situation, I have two
choices:

1. An aftermarket pump without the nipple; accepts the original pulley.
2. An "original-type" pump with the nipple; does not accept the original
   pulley.

If I go with the first choice, does the bearing housing actually look
like the original pump, aside from lacking the grease nipple? Does this
pump housing have a boss that can be drilled for a non-functioning grease
nipple for the sake of original appearance?

How closely does the second choice resemble the original pump and pulley?