Re: TR2/3/4 water pump rebuild

To: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: TR2/3/4 water pump rebuild
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:18:08 -0800
Cc: Mark Gendron <mister_toad@email.msn.com>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Greg, you make a good point about the reason the design was changed.

I'd like to also add that listers undertaking the rebuild might look
around for a Massey-Ferguson tractor dealer to buy the parts. I haven't
done this, but understand it's possible and cheaper, from previous
postings. I did find we have a local dealer here in SJ, Calif.

I have an "original" waterpump w/the casting for the grease zerk, but it
was never drilled and tapped, so there is no zerk. I think this is orig.
to the car. So maybe there was a transition period when TR was using up
the old castings, but installing the new, permanently lubricated
bearings. This older pump has the bolt-on pulley (which is broken &
self-welded in place).

I also have a later used pump another lister kindly sold me, no zerk, no
casting for zerk & a press-on 3/4" pulley.

Eventually I'll be rebuilding both. Other issues are taking precedence!
I've heard from others on the list that nothing seems to hold up
terribly long, so I'll be prepared to repair/rebuild every one or two or
three years, which explains the spare pump, which will live in my
"emergency kit".

Converting to the pressed-on pulley type, you need to replace one of the
bolts behind the pulley with a stud/nut combination. It's impossible to
fully remove the bolt with anything less than a hack saw.

It is also important when switching pumps around to check that the upper
& lower pulleys still line up, or be sure to carry a few extra belts!

Another .02 worth...

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L