FW: License plate lamps on 1967 TR-4A

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, triumphs@autox.team.net, Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: FW: License plate lamps on 1967 TR-4A
From: r-james@tamu.edu
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 99 15:24:04
Thanks to TR-4 EXPERT ANDY MACE who suggested my car was probably made for
export to Germany, based on my two unusual TR-3 style license plate
lamps, and also to Brad Kahler for also helping unravel the puzzle.

Today, by talking with the mechanic from whom I bought the car, I confirmed
that it did come from Germany.  His client was a US Army soldier, who
bought the car from an in-law who brought it from Germany.  I am the
third owner (not counting the mechanic, in whose yard it sat for
many years).

Besides the two license plate lamps (which are marked Lucas 467/2, and
certainly appear to be factory installations), my car also has
a steering column lock/ignition switch, apparently original...
Can other TR-4A owners report whether this lock/switch is present
on other cars, or is unique to mine?

The only other oddity I have noticed (but I am certainly not an
expert on TR-4's) is the fact that the replacement horn push
I recently purchased did not quite fit the steering wheel--the
wheel hub is missing a slot for the triangular-shaped key
on the horn push that serves to orient the push properly.  Can
other TR-4A owners comment on whether their steering wheel
has such a keyway or slot in the inside of the hub?

Oh, yeah, there were some rust holes shaped sort of like Germany
in the floorboards, now that I think about it!

I'm considering one of those "D" decals for the boot lid!

Regards,
Ray

Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.
Texas Transportation Institute