Re: License plate lamps on 1967 TR-4A

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: License plate lamps on 1967 TR-4A
From: r-james@tamu.edu
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 99 13:35:15
Andy:

Thanks for the very interesting response.  As discussed, I'm forwarding this
to the list for the possible interest of others, as it is the first
explanation offered that seems to explain my situation.  (And maybe it prevent
keep me from having to weld up 6 holes in my freshly painted boot lid!)

I did buy the car from a mechanic (on a mechanic's lien, this topic came
up earlier, and I didn't comment then, but it was a snap in Texas to get title.)
The mechanic's customer was a US Army enlisted man who was stationed overseas
(don't know where, but perhaps coincidentally, the mechanic was a German
immigrant
himself, who settled near San Antonio, to drink lots of beer, fix German (and
British)
cars, marry a hispanic lady, and curse, in German, the IRS).

So, I suppose it is possible that the soldier brought the car home from
Germany.
If so, what else should I look for?  Is the fuel filler cap labelled
"petrogefuller"
or something?  I do know the tach on my son's old BMW says UPM instead of RPM,
but
that clue is missing on the TR4.

I don't think my car has any back-up lamps, either.  But I gather this is an
"option" anyway.

My car has HS6 carbs, but with the "long" intake runners--is this "proper"?

Thanks again for the possible explanation--even if you made it up, it is a good
enough story to justify keeping the two lamps in place!  Anybody else out there
got any further ideas about this question?

Ray

--- On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:16:04 -0500 (EST)  Andrew Mace

-----------------End of Original Message-----------------