Re: Power Upgrades

To: Tom Di Iulio <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Power Upgrades
From: Aaron Johnson <sugar@holly.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 07:21:16 -0700 (MST)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Tom;
        There really are no cheap way to increase horsepower a noticable
amount.  Most things that are cheap (ie: electronic ignition, spark plugs,
plug wires and such) make an engine run smoother and start easier, but
don't neccasarrily increase horsepower.  The way to really start making
more horsepower is this formula  $=horsepower.  The more you spend the
more you'll make.  First thing to do would be to increase compression and
put in a bigger camshaft.  A camshaft will run about $100-300 depending on
whether it is new or a regrind.  Then you can have the head ported and
flowed, which can cost from $50-1000 as the guy here in town with the flow
bench said.  Then you need to lighten up as much stuff internally as
possible.  Probably best to go with 4140 rods and a steel crank, 200 bucks
apiece for rods and god knows how much for the crank.  Then to match that
a good set of forged pistons at $800 for the set.  Get rid of the crank
mounted fan and put an electric one on ($100 or so).  Put a nice MSD box
on to make a fat spark to burn the racing fuel you have to run with the
12:1 head ($200 for msd, $4.50 a gallon for gas).  Now you need to feed
the beast you've created so either a PI system that has been modified or
triple webers at $1600 for the kit.  You now have an engine with about 230
horse and no reliability.  But you could go part way on some of these
things and make a nice streetable engine with around 150 horse.

aaron