Re: Starter Motor Disassembly Help

To: sanborn@net1plus.com
Subject: Re: Starter Motor Disassembly Help
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:16:48 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<< The starter has a 1976 manufacture date on it and has the very late type of
 retainer on the end of the drive assembly.  I need to remove and
 disassembly this to get at the drive-end bush in the end cover.  My Haynes
 and Triumph Workshop manual don't mention this design.  They show a screw
 on retainer with a cotter pin.  The Moss catalog does shows a later type
 the uses a circlip type of retainer.   I don't recognize what I have right
 off from the Moss drawing... although they are similar.   I can't find any
 thing to remove to undo it on mine.

 How do you get this new type of retainer off the end of the shaft.  Do you
 have to compress the spring and pop something out.  I cant' think of how I
 will compress the VERY thick coil spring and still be able to get at the
 end of the retainer.

 All advice will be appreciated

 The alternative is to just not replace the bush..... but a good shipwright
 can't do that.... right.

 Brian Sanborn
 62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA
 sanborn@net1plus.com

Hey Brian
I just made something to do the very job you're talking about. I found a 1/4"
x 1-1/2" x 10" bar o' steel and drilled three holes in it. Middle hole is 3/4"
dia. and the others are 3/8". They align with the 2 mounting holes in the
starter. So with some 3/8" allthread you crank the thing down and compress the
spring. Under the spring/endpiece is a small "C" clip which comes right out.
Once out the whole assembly comes off. I've done this before with a vice, but
it isn't easy.

Good Luck
Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A